The big brother acted bravely to make sure he didn't leave anyone behind.
When a fire started in the kitchen of Brody Sims’ house, the quick-thinking 11-year-old followed his parents’ advice and managed to get all of his siblings to safety, according to a report in WSMV.
“My mom and dad told us, if there was a fire, to grab everyone and run out of the house and call 911,” shared the youngster. And thankfully Brody remembered these instructions!
But what’s particularly impressive is that the big brother was able to follow this advice in what must have been the most frightening of circumstances.
With the fire burning, “all you could see was just smoke coming out,” Brody shared with WSMV. Incredibly, Brody managed to shepherd all four of his brothers and sisters out of the burning home, after searching for his two-year-old brother who was asleep in a bedroom at the back of the home, according to children’s aunt, Hannah Sims, on a GoFundMe page for the family.
“I was just crying and yelling my brother’s name … I did what any big brother would do,” the young hero explained when sharing his experience. And while he was busy getting everybody to safety, his younger sister called 911.
The children’s mom, Kimberly Sims, who was not at home when the fire broke out, described the fire as “surreal,” saying: “I’m just really thankful the kids have been trained what to do in emergencies. We’re unbelievably proud.”
Sadly, most of the family’s belongings were destroyed in the fire, including the children’s toys and clothes, and their father’s army awards. The children’s aunt set up the fundraising page to help bring a little aid and festive cheer to the family, with details of the children’s clothing sizes and favorite toys, for anyone wishing to lend practical support.
The family’s story, while very materially damaging, is just another demonstration of the power of the sibling bond. And no doubt Brody’s little siblings will look up to him for years to come for the hero he truly is.